VOIP is an acronym for Voice Over Internet Protocol, or in more common terms phone service over the Internet. You, in fact, have already used them on your PC and Mobile Phone. Application such as Skype, Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, Snapchat, and Viber use free Wifi to Wifi calling, or often 1c a minute for calls to calling non Wifi calls like landline or mobile phone numbers using thing VoIP
As you now have a very high-quality Internet connection you can get phone service delivered through your Internet connection instead of from your local phone company. This has very small data usage too. A 30-minute voice calls takes up 10MB or 0.01 GB, so it does not take up much data allowance at all.
How does VoIP work?
All that is required is to turn analog phone signals into digital signals that can be sent over the Internet.
This function in domestic home use is via a separate box like an ATA. You simply use your existing cordless phones you already have. The main telephone (with the telephone cable) goes into the ATA adaptor, which in turn goes into the back of the 4G Router. That’s it.
3 Simple Steps
- Connect your Vonage Box to your existing broadband.
- Plug your phone into your Vonage Box.
- Pick up the phone and ring someone.
SWMB Ltd are resellers for Vonage which do calls over the internet (VOIP) which is £11 a month, which includes all calls to UK landline (4.2p a minute to mobile), or for just £15 a month to include all calls to UK landlines and mobiles. Also included are free calls to 6 countries including Ireland, China, Hong Kong, Canada, Singapore and the USA.
There is also a basic package of £8 a month for 1000 of UK minutes (8.2p a min to mobiles).
Also on the £11 and £15 tariff and above you can for £4 a month either add Unlimited* calls to 68 countries (400 minutes to India, Bangladesh & Nigeria) or for £4 a month, you can pick an individual telephone number of your choice.
If you, the customer decides to go the VoIP route, you can drop the BT line rental altogether as you can port your number across Free of charge. Or you can even pick a number with a different code. For example, if you live in Devon but wish to have a “London code” this can be done again this is free of charge. An ATA adaptor connects your fixed line telephone handsets or DECT phones to your router so that they can be used for VoIP calls, again this is free of charge. So this could also save you £15-20 a month on average and get free calls at the same time.
However, 999 and 112 calls may not be made using Vonage if there is a loss of power (same rule applies to landline DECT phones) or failure with your ISP or broadband connection unless you use your mobile phone.
One last feature, if you wish to use it, and again it is free of charge is the fact that all mobile phone calls can use the Wifi calling app via our 4G Wifi Router, giving you full clarity of voice calls no matter how poor your signal
This video shows you how. https://www.vonage.co.uk/useful-info/videos/how-to-videos/vonage-extensions-app/
We are also resellers of BT Business VoIP Cloud systems. Please contact us for more information.
What if I don’t have DECT Cordless phones?
Vonage send you 2 free Gigaset A120 phones. These are very basic phones. If you use the Free ATA adator from Vonage we recommend the following:
Gigaset C430A Trio Cordless DECT Phone w/ Answering Machine
This Gigaset C430 cordless DECT phone bundle is equipped to simplify your household routine. With useful direct access functions and an integrated baby phone it is a practical and user-friendly solution to your day-to-day calling requirements. Energy-efficient power supply means that the Gigaset C430A is easier on the environment and on your wallet.
- Includes one two or three C430 cordless DECT phones
- Brilliant HSP sound quality, even when using hands-free
- 2 direct access keys to your favourite functions (can be set individually)
- Selectable day/night switch that mutes the handsets ringer
- Long talk and standby time of up to 14 and 300 hours, respectively
- Ergonomic, precise keypad made from high-quality materials
- Supports the Gigaset L410 hands-free clip
- Always stay in touch
Gigaset S650H PRO Cordless DECT Phone & N510 IP VoIP/SIP DECT Base Station (no need for Vonage ATA adaptor)
The Gigaset S650H PRO Cordless DECT Handset is the perfect crossover between a classic mobile and business phone. The Bluetooth of the Gigaset S650H PRO function supports additional features like connecting a headset, or synchronising your contacts with your Mac or Windows computer – even your smartphone or tablet. Easy to use and install, this handset will provide you with a range of convenient extras to support your effectiveness in business and also comes bundled with an N510 IP DECT Base Station.
- Bundle includes from one to six (6) S650H Pro Cordless DECT handsets and one (1) N510 IP Base Station.
- Intuitive to operate, next-generation, icon-based user interface.
- 1,8” TFT illuminated display and alphanumerical keypad.
- Hands-free talking with brilliant sound quality
- Powerful battery supports long working days without charging.
- 12 hours of talk time and over 300 hours of standby time.
- Exchange phone numbers via Bluetooth or micro-USB.
- Included N510 IP Base Station
What if the DECT phone signal cannot get around my house, office or even outdoors.
NTP 4024 Standard DECT Range Extender
The NTP 4024 is designed in accordance with the Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications (DECT) standard. This type of repeater (WRS Wireless Relay Stations) is intended for use in residential, business and public DECT applications based on the GAP profile. Both models include a SMB connector for an external directional antenna which can be used to extend DECT coverage to remote areas from the typical base station.
- Up to 12 repeaters per base station
- Up to 50m indoor and 300m outdoor
- Handling of 5 active narrow-band calls simultaneously
- Handling of 2 active wide-band calls simultaneously
- Support automatic handover of calls between cells
- DECT encryption
- Automatic registration method
- Double the range of your base station
- Repeater to repeater registration (max. 3 repeaters in daisy chain)
Important: Please ensure you check with the https://www.rtx.dk/ website for handset compatibility before purchasing this DECT extender.
Standard warranty: 1-year